Friday, July 11, 2014

A Humbling time in life...

Today we took temporary placement(for the weekend) of our foster son's half sisters. Yes sister(s).  One is 5 1/2 and one is 2 1/2.
This day has not gone anything like I expected.
The girls were very excited to have a sleepover at our house(I expected moaning and groaning)...like so excited they were bouncing off the walls...
this would actually be just after I told the hubs that these girls are not hyper. LOL.
We have had our challenges of trying to push to see how far they can run the house..which is so very much expected by any child coming into your home..muchless a foster who has bounced from houses a bit.
Nap time came around...
The oldest says "Gina! Can you do our tuck ins and high fives and hugs and kisses?"
Me "sure..just tell me how and when to do them.
Oldest "Now tuck in...
Me: tuck in...
Oldest: "Now hug...
Me: Hug
Oldest: "now high fives"
Me: high fiving to the number five.
Oldest: "now kiss"
Me: "Kiss"

This is where I started to get humbled...a little girl who I've only painted her nails a few times in our agency...and brought her a couple of little things..and picked up once from her house to take to a visit wants to hug and kiss me?
That just blew my mind. Seriously...it still does...

The younger ones turn....
Same routine...but the older one yells out...she doesn't like the hug part...so I asked "do you want a hug too?"
She shook her head yes...
so I go to hug her and it was a genuine hug..with weight and heart behind it.
so I squeeze her like I would mine own...
And right then and there I'm humbled yet again...

Then after nap time...the kids went in the pool...and our bio kids rock is all I can say! They took turns caring for each girl in the pool...helping them with their floaties and googles...staying by their side...My mama heart was literally leaping with joy to see these kids step up in such a big way today.

After swimming we had to take Ez to baseball practice...and so we all went today, i thought it would be good to have the kids get out of the house and run...and play in sand.
So i drop off Ez and Tony to practice...run and grab some food through a drive through and as were heading back to the practice the older one corrects em as she say "my mom"...the older one corrects her and says "well she's our mom now too!"
YEP! humbled right again...jaw dropped...
Amazed again that these girls who have been through more than I could ever imagine and even possible for anyone to handle...are not hiding like I would be...but running to the arms of a new person who is willing to care for them properly.
Then we had a talk about skin color...the oldest asked em "why does you and your mom have the same skin color?"
I answered..."Jesus makes people in all different skin colors, shapes and sizes...and everyone is beautiful...the skin color for em and I happen to match but doesn't change how jesus see's us." She blew it off...
its okay...I pray she remembers that one day....
Then bed time rolls around....and we do our same high fives..hugs, kisses and tuck in routine...
and read a bed time story(which to be honest was rough for me, because I was tired!) and as i was walking out of the room...i just felt the need to tell them "I love you."
And once again...
I'm humbled by their response...
"I love you too! Good night!" from both girls...

I don't know all that the Lord is doing in my heart through saying yes to these girls for the weekend...is it all a bed of roses? No...
Am I exhausted? Yep...
Am I overwhelmed?  A little...Not too bad...
But I know Jesus is using them to humble me...

I know foster care isn't for everyone...but what if you just said yes to a child for a weekend...and poored into their souls for a weekend...while you may think your changing them...and you may very well...think about how much is being changed in you.

Pray about foster care...Pray for the orphans...these kids in my home tonight truly are a picture of what the bibles talks about as orphans...right here in our own back yard.
okay...goodnight friends!

Gina

No comments: